Tue, Nov 15|
2022 Shale & Public Health Conference (League of Women Voters of PA)
Time & Location
Nov 15, 2022, 12:00 PM – Nov 16, 2022, 4:00 PM
About the event
The tenth annual League of Women Voters of Pennsylvania Shale & Public Health Conference will take place as an online conference over two days. The conference will feature new research presented by national experts on shale and public health impacts and practical applications.
The conference will feature:
- Synthesis of 10 years of research – what have we learned?
- New evidence: Researchers present their latest studies on the health impacts of shale gas development
- Environmental Justice
- Special guest speakers explore the relationships between research findings and government policy
- Community Voices
A panel discussion on research and policy moderated by EHP's public policy manager, Jacquelyn Omotalade, will be held on November 16 from 12:00 p.m. - 2:00 p.m.
Day 1 – Tuesday, November 15, 2022
- Sally Wenzel, MD, Pitt Graduate School of Public Health
Session 1: Ten years of fracking and research – What have we learned?
- Anthony Ingraffea, PhD, Dwight C. Baum Professor of Engineering Emeritus, Civil & Environmental Engineering, Cornell University
- David J.X. Gonzalez, PhD, Epidemiologist, Environmental Scientist, and President’s Post-Doctoral Fellow at UC Berkeley
- Nicole Deziel, PhD, MHS, Associate Professor, Yale School of Public Health
Session 2: New Evidence
- Helena Archer, MPH, UC Berkeley, COVID and exposure to oil and gas
- Cassandra Clark, PhD, Postdoctoral Fellow, Yale University, Infant exposure, and leukemia
- Mary D. Willis, PhD, MPH, Boston University School of Public Health, Gestational hypertension
- Longchiang Li, PhD, Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Harvard University, Exposure to unconventional oil and gas and All-Cause Mortality in Medicare Beneficiaries
- Joan Casey, PhD, Assistant Professor, Columbia University, Environmental Justice in Pennsylvania, Drilling and Wastewater Disposal
Day 2 – Wednesday, November 16, 2022
- Meghan Pierce, MPA, Executive Director LWVPA
Session 3: Research and Policy Discussion moderated by Jacquelyn Omotalade, Esq., Policy Manager, Environmental Health Project
- Rep. Rick Krajewski, State Representative of Pennsylvania's 188th Legislative District
- Cynthia Alvarez, Chief of Staff for California State Senator Lena Gonzalez
- Ned Ketyer, MD, FAAP, President of Physicians for Social Responsibility PA
Session 4: Community Voices: Research to Action
- Robin Lesko, Senior Organizer, Food & Water Watch, Allegheny County Parks action
- Kearni Warren, Energy Justice Network
- Wesley Silva, Former Marianna Borough Council President Washington County PA
- Cultivando: Cultivating community leadership to advance health equity through collaboration, advocacy, and policy change.
- Detlev Helmig, PhD, Scientist, Principal Boulder Atmosphere Innovation Research, LLC
- Laura Martinez, Promotora (Environmental Justice)
- Olga Gonzalez, Executive Director
The online conference is free. Registration is required.